Friday, October 12, 2012

Lexe suffered a bit of a setback today.  For the last couple of days Lexe felt okay but not great.  This afternoon Lexe started running a fever and it spiked high enough to be told by the oncology clinic to take her to the emergency department at Primary Children's hospital.  Once at the emergency room Lexe's fever spiked to 102.7 and her heart rate jumped to around 140 beats per minute.  Her vital signs prompted a shock response protocol and they pumped 2 liters of fluids into her in short order.  Lexe was also given an Intensive Care Unit consult to see if her condition required admission into the ICU.  Blood was drawn from Lexe's central line and cultures were started to see if she has a bacterial infection in her blood.  The cultures will take 24 to 48 hours to grow out.  After a long stay in the ER, Lexe was admitted inpatient to the cancer unit.  Hopefully tonight will be a quite night and Lexe will be able to get some rest.

3 comments:

  1. similar thing happened to Caity. they could not find any reason for the fever, other than they said her body was just reacting to the increase in good blood cells. she was given antibiotics, sent home, and was pretty much fever free after that. hopefully this stay for Lexi amounts to nothing, and she gets to go home soon. best of luck to you all, andy and caity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping Lexe in our prayers. I sure hope your stay in ICS is a short one and that Lexe recovers quickly from this fever. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! My name is Krystin Jung, and I'm a two time AML survivor. I am currently 19 years old and I was first diagnosed when I was 17 years old, while I was a Senior in High school. I read a lot of things in this blog, that I, myself experienced. And I was diagnosed around the same age as your daughter, and I have yet met another teenager that has been diagnosed with leukemia. I had the same goal, to walk at my Senior graduation and I did. I'm five months post my Cord Blood Transplant. And i'd like to offer any sort of assistance as I possibly can to help you, and your daughter. My email is Krystinjung@yahoo.com and you can easily find me on Facebook!
    I wish Lexie all the strength in the world, and tell her that she's not alone.
    Good luck! -Krystin Jung

    ReplyDelete